Monday, October 12, 2015

A finish: Prospector's 16 Patch

   Name: Prospector's16 Patch
Design: St. Louis 16 Patch (tutorial at Sew with Sass)
Size: 56" by 72"
Quilted: by me with Aurifil 50 wt in cream on either side of each square
Backed with a vintage sheet

I made this St, Louis 16 Patch with the intention that it be a donation quilt for the Rock Creek Forest Fire victims, I put it together with a vision of who it might be for but then the organizers of the quilt drive said they only wanted queen size quilts.  Wah wa wa.  Darn.  This is not a queen size quilt.  It is a long twin.  And I made it that  because I thought it might be good for an older gentleman, perhaps even a prospector type who may have lost his cabin in the wild fires.  In my mind, it was a good idea.  I used to teach in that area, years ago and we lived in the little town of Midway when the kids were young.  So my idea was not that out of whack.  Since the quilt was not wanted, I have it in a pile waiting and will jump at an opportunity to donate it, especially to an older gentleman, who may have a cabin and may or may not be a prospector type.  Or something.

Made with a variety of prints from my stash and with mostly low volume prints making up the 16 patch squares, this quilt comes together in a hurry.  The tutorial is a good one.  The quilt is quilted simply, a quarter inch from the seam lines on one side of each quarter inch block in Aurifil 50 wt in cream.  

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Schnitzel and Boo work in progress

I joined the Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt swap on Instagram.  I have been waffling and waffling but I had to get started.  I knew what fabric to use as my partner was pretty clear on that but I was not sure what to do.  I have not been in a mini quilt swap before and for some reason I was paralyzed with indecision.  Today, after a bunch of other sewing, I started making little itty bitty x blocks.  They take me to my happy place.  I need about 16 of them.  The blocks measure about 4" finished.  Cutey patootey.  Happy October, people.  Roses still blooming and the veggie garden is still producing.  What a year in weather!

Sunday, September 27, 2015

On the design wall... progress

I kept making blocks all weekend and bing, bang, bam, my hillside village was completed!  I have yet to sew all the blocks together but that will go together quickly.  Honestly, this was so much fun to make and I have to thank Carla at Grace and Favour for the inspiration.  I saw her finished quilt on her blog and I had to make it too!  Anyway.  You can download the free pattern by following the link over at Pretty Little Quilts.  

I had a big messy pile of solids out all over the table.  It was making me crazy so I stuffed them all into a laundry basket.  It was a lot easier to put it all away at the end!

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Kona Club Challenge over at Sew Sisters and a Giveaway

I have a project featured over at  Sew Sisters for their Kona Club Challenge today.  I was asked to come up with an original project using one of their monthly bundles of Kona cotton.  Each month Kona Club members recieve 4 FQs or 4 half yards of Kona Cotton.  The bundle is inspired by a photograph and the bundle I used  was from August.  But I am not going to tell you anything more.

Pop on over and have a look and enter the giveway for some Kona cottons!


Sunday, September 20, 2015

On the design wall: Hillside Houses

Okay.  This is just way too much fun.  Hillside Houses was a quilt along early this year.  I am a bit late to the party but I had a whole lot of fun making houses yesterday and today.  In between power outages.  It has been super wet and super windy.  

This is a free pattern and I am picking out colours as I go along with a bit of inspiration from Carla and Grace and Favour.  I love the addition of purple.  I am making a heck of a mess though as I keep pull solids and messing around with it all.  Have a look.  Mess!  

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Sunday Sale at Sew Sisters!

Get ready!  Sew Sisters is having a big sale this Sunday, online only!  20% off yardage only.  Have a look at all the info on their blog so you don't miss out on the great deals!  I might just have a gift certificate that I got for my birthday and I think I might have to go shopping!


Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Better than Christmas!

I think I may have mentioned that I am a member of the most awesome Fraser Valley Modern Quilt Guild.    In fact this past year, I have been the guild president.  It has been a big year for the guild.  We grew big time and we became an official guild with membership in both the Canadian Quilters' Association and the mothership, The Modern Quilt Guild.  Through it all, the guild focused on fun, friendship, tons of laughter, and buckets of creativity and inspiration.  This past year has been super busy for me at work and then both kids got married and all sorts of other things.  I knew that I had to step back and just be a member so last week, I presided over my last meeting.  It was also our 5th anniversary party.  And let me just say, we know how to party!  I was blown away when the guild presented me with a giant box of fabric and vintage goodness as a thank you gift.  All my favourites.  You guys are the best!!!!  Valley girls rock!