Monday, August 15, 2016

Scrappy Bow Tie Baby


   Name:  Scrappy Bow Tie Baby
Design:  Inspired by Blue Elephant Stitches
Size:  39" by 39", blocks are 6"
Fabric: Stash fabrics and scraps
Quilted: by me with Aurifil 50 wt in white beside each square


So I saw this quilt on Jolene's blog, Blue Elephant Stitches.  I love so many of her quilts.  I had to make it.  I think the beauty of this one is in the variety of the background solids and not quite solids.  Lots of pale Kona solids in blue, pink and pale yellow with a dash of light grey dots and a few squares of an out of print Sweetwater fabric in a colour I remember they called pickle.  The bow ties are almost all scraps but I also used some leftover bits of  2 different Moda Candy packs.  This is a wonderful way to use those little 2.5" squares.  The binding is a floral print that does not read as baby at all but some how it works with this.  I truly believe the zing of orange and navy is important to this design.  So be brave if you try this quilt.   So much fun.  The quilting is simple.  Just Aurifil 50 wt in white around the seam lines.  The backing is a ditzy floral print that I have had for ages.  The flowers are pink, orange and turquoise with a bit of grey.  It totally works.  Light and soft.  There it is below when it fell out of grandmother hazelnut.





7 comments:

  1. Cathy, this quilt is so modern great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely quilt. I had this project saved for some time to make one day. Your inspiration will move me to make it sooner as I am sewing onther things. Thanks.

    tushay3 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I love it. I made one back in the day ; ) I want to make another

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really lovely! I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete