Thursday, July 13, 2017

I sew tents too!


I made a tee pee for our Harrison for his first birthday present.  I should say that Husband and I made a tee pee because I got a lot of help with the drafting of the pattern.  There are many tutorials on Pinterest but you have to take the measurements and then for it.  I used canvas painter's drop cloths from Canadian Tire as my fabric of choice.  I added a facing to the top of the tent and added grommets to add some stability to the top of the tent.  The grommets were then used as part of the rope tying at the top.  The grommets really seem to make it look snazzy.  The rope is cotton clothesline cord.  The doweling we used was hemlock, 1"5/8".  It was a tight squeeze for the doweling through the tubes at each of the four corners but it worked.  I would probably add a 1/2" to the width of those pieces if I was to make another.  I serged all the seams for strength and serged and then narrow hemmed the bottom and tee pee flaps.  The tee pee collapses easily for storage.

The most important thing is how much Harrison likes it!  He goes in and out and giggles.  He pretends to nap and just has a whole lot of fun with his new happy place.  The tee pee is large enough for an adult to sit inside it with him for story time.  So much fun!




3 comments:

  1. That is really cute and a fantastic Idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant idea Cathy, Harrison will get years of fun out of his teepee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks very well made. What an excellent grandma!

    ReplyDelete