Monday, September 19, 2016

Because It Is Fall

   Name:  Because it is Fall
Design:  Log cabins around a 3" square, 8.5" blocks
Size:  83"" by 83""
Fabric: Stash fabrics 
Quilted: by me with Aurifil 50 wt in white and dove in the bobbin in an irregular grid
Backing:  Anna Maria Horner, Lizzy House and Kaffe Fasset prints

The end of summer seems to inspire a certain colour palette.  If I look back in my finished quilts, I find this is not the first time I have made a quilt at this time of year with rich purples, intense pinks and rich yellows.  It was my dahlias in bloom and the concord grapes ripening with the grape leaves beginning to turn and there I was pulling fabrics for this quilt.  Log cabins around a 3" square of a Lizzy House print in deep yellow.  The blocks are half low volume logs and half of the colours.  And then, because I was obviously having a crazy attack, I decided to make it bigger with just low volume cabins.  It is a big one.  83" square.  A bit of a beast to quilt but it is done.  The quilting is pretty dense.  White Aurifil 50 wt on the top and Dove in the bobbin.  The quilting is a bit of an irregular grid.  It shows up on the back if you take a close look.  Bound with a rich purple print from the stash and backed with a chunk of Anna Maria Horner's Sketchbook from the Hand Drawn Garden line.  I have been hoarding it for a special quilt back.  I did not have enough so added in some of the Lizzy House print and a length of a Kaffe Fasset print called Clover.  Just yum.

A 12 clothespin quilt, I might add.  It took a bit to get this hung on the clothesline without it tumbling down to the yard below.  And I am quite in love with this one.  

If you are stopping by from the Blogger's Quilt Festival, welcome!  I have entered this one in the large quilt category!








10 comments:

  1. so pretty and great to snuggle under
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt is so beautiful! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love log cabin quilts. Your choice of colours is beautiful.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors in this are luscious. I love your measuring system--"12 clothespin." The extra low volume Log Cabins around the outside really enhanced the design, so excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors in there - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete