Saturday, March 25, 2017

Not quilting but sewing for baby


I have been sewing up a new wardrobe for the grand boy.  Spring break sewing to be sure.  I actually had to make a list.  Daughter has very specific requests.  Did I say diva?  Just a little bit.  Love you, Emily!  Anyway, it is always a bit of a gamble with sizes when the baby lives far away but I got busy and made pants, tees, a sweatshirt and a hoodie.  And I fell in love with a "new to me" technique for finishing the hems and waists.  Oh my goodness, I am all about the twin stretch needle with woolly nylon thread in the bobbin.  Why have I never done this before?????  It works like stink.  I am even going to do this on the neck ribbing next time for that extra little bit of professional finish.


Some fabric details.  The foxes are a Robert Kaufman knit but I think it is out of stock everywhere now.  The other prints are from Spoonflower. I get the organic knit.  It is a beautiful weight.  The black and white stripe if from a t-shirt that I bought for me but never wore.  The black hoodie and black pants is french terry with a grey light weight knit for the hood lining.  The sweatshirt is a light weight woven stripe from Overseas Fabric, my local awesome shop and they carry the twin stretch needle and tons of serger thread.  FYI.


And the patterns for the hoodie, sweatshirt and the tees are Brindille and Twig.  The pants are a combination of a number of patterns and my own messing around.  I used the baggy fit tee but then did the deer print and black and white stripe with the basic tee and we preferred the basic fit tee.




7 comments:

  1. OMG! Those are the cutest clothes!!! Beautiful work you have done there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I just might have to get my serger back from my daughter when they do get a baby at some point in order to make things like this! (Of course then there is the issue, as you know, of threading the darn thing and remembering how to use the machine! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! So I have my first grandchild arriving soon and can't wait to sew and create a post like this! I have been researching a serger for knit sewing but seems like the double needle approach might work on my domestic machine. Fantastic projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lucky grandbaby! Your clothes are the cutest things ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fabulous Cathy, any diva would be thrilled to get them! So the twin needle with woolly thread sounds like something to investigate , what makes it so good? I need to know before I get started on the next set of clothes for the gorgeous grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! You got me hooked on Brindille & Twig patterns when you showed your first pair of baby pants but I've just collected supplies and patterns so far, been scared to cut into all my pretty knits! Could you please explain what you are talking about with the woolly thread technique?

    ReplyDelete