Tuesday, April 2, 2013

It's a pillow cover and it's modern






I made this on the weekend.  It is a 16" by 16" pillow cover and I made it for a guild challenge.  Let me tell you about that.  Our guild, the Fraser Valley Modern Quilt Guild, is having a display booth at the Ridge Meadows Quilt show in May.  We were asked to take a traditional quilt block and modern it up in a 16" by 16" format.  These little minis will be on display at the quilt show in an attempt to show what modern quilting might be.  So.... with that being said, what did I do?  I made 4 little blocks, called picket fence.  Then I placed the 4 little blocks in lots of Kona Ash.  Lots of negative space.  Then I quilted it heavily in straight lines with a variegated grey Aurifil 50 wt in 2 directions but not everywhere.

What makes it modern?  Hmm.  Fabric choice for sure.  Use of solids. Modern fabric choices for sure.  Use of negative space.  Lots of quilting to add texture.  It is modern because I say so.  That's a good reason.

 I  used some Anna Maria Horner, some Henna Garden by Sandi Henderson, some grey herringbone print from Sweetwater's Reunion line and some Madrona Road text fabric along with the Kona Ash.  Then I bound it in Kona Charcoal.  Yum.  The back has a zipper and more Henna Garden.

I am calling this one done.  And I really like it.  The zipper went in super easy on the back too.  Proud of that one.  I love the quilting.  

7 comments:

  1. Love the straight lines on your pillow, Cathy! And I think because you say so is reason enough for it to be modern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very attractive pillow cover. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very modern Cathy! :-) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh it looks awesome!!! I think all of those reasons make it modern, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, modern because I say so. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilting definitely backs up your "because I say so." :-) Gorgeous.

    Lovely job.

    ReplyDelete