Saturday, April 27, 2013

That Stash Bee... my month


May is just around the corner and that means that it is my turn at choosing a block for That Stash Bee.  Such a dilemma!  I finally decided to go with a classic... The Depression Block.    The tutorial I have linked to has lots of details but in reality, it is a pretty simple block.  This is a perfect scrap busting block as you can make it super scrappy.  I want my bee buddies to think black and white tv when they are making the blocks.  I used Kona White and stuck with that for the white portions but went super scrappy in greys and blacks for the rest.  I think it will be quite striking when made up.

I cut my squares at 4" and then trimmed the HST units down to 3.5".

You need:
 8-4" Kona White squares and
8-4" black/grey squares for each block.

The block finishes at 12" or 12.5" unfinished.  I pressed the seams open.

That Stash Bee is  the first bee I have joined and the whole idea is that we use our own fabric when making the blocks each month.  This saves a ton of postage for everyone and I think is a pretty stress free approach to an online bee.  It will be great fun to receive blocks in the mail!  I cannot wait!




8 comments:

  1. This block looks nice in the white and black/grey. I have never seen a block in this pattern that I did not like ... good choice ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, great choice!! That looks like a fun block. Just the other day I found a few black prints in my stash that I wanted to use but didn't have a project for them. Now I do!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blocks Cathy. Do you keep the quilt or does it become a donation?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Block. I like the colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to working on this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like black and white quilts. This block is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete