Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop


I have noticed these Around the World Blog hop posts popping up around the blogosphere and the other day I was tagged by Karen who blogs at Karen Walsh Textiles.  Thank you, Karen!  Karen is fairly new to quilting and makes really lovely cushions with seabirds on them.  They are really lovely.  Have a look.  So here we go...  Thanks for stopping by and if you would like to see some of my quilts, I have tabs up at the top with links to each quilt finish.


. What am you currently working on?

I am currently working on a quilt for an old friend.  Fall colours was the request so that is what is happening.  I also have a long term quilt on the go with Don't Call Me Betsy, the lucky stars block of the month.  This has been on the go for the past 2 years and I have to say that I am glad that it is nearing the end.  I will be glad to call it done.  I tend to work on one project at a time and work on it until it is done.  I call it being a monogamous quilter.


How does my work differ from others?

Good question.  I guess we all have our unique colour sense and that is what defines our style.  I may make a quilt from a designer's pattern but my fabric choices make it mine.  I mix it up and I think my colour choices are what makes my quilts look like my quilts.

Why do you write/create what you do?

My husband told me I needed a hobby when the kids left home. I always listen to him. He he he. I needed to do something that was very different from my full time work as an elementary school principal. Since sewing has always been my thing, with a few breaks as life became busier, quilting seemed to follow quite naturally.  I saw a quilt a colleague had made and thought, hey, I can do that.  The rest is history.  Blogging followed soon after and I have been blogging for about 4 years or so.  So quilting has become my stress buster.  I made him the Sunshine quilt up at the top.  Just because.

How does your creative process work?

I am a weekend quilter.  I usually start with an idea.  Maybe just colour ideas.  Or a block that I really like then shop in my stash for fabric and then I just go for it.  I always have a quilt on the go and I get my inspiration from all over the place.  


And passing on the hop...

I am passing this on to 2 of my quilting buddies Lysa and Cynthia.  They are simply awesome and you should go and meet them if you don't know them already.

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading your post Cathy, and learning a little more about what inspires you. I too work in education (teacher training) and find seeing the best way to switch off and become wholly absorbed in something else. Thank you again for taking part in the Blog Hop. It's been lovely to meet you :-) Karen x

    ReplyDelete