Monday, February 1, 2016

Steps to Modern Quilting: A mini finish

      Name: Steps to Modern Quilting
Design:  Mine:  Variation on half square triangles
Size:  21" by 21"
Fabric: Modern Background paper by Zen Chic for Moda
Quilted: by me with Aurifil 50 wt in Dove grey, 
Binding:   Same line with matched binding

Each year, my guild, the Fraser Valley Modern Quilt Guild has a display at the Creative Stitches Show in Abbotsford.  The show is in March and each year we have a guild challenge.  This year we were to use some of Zen Chic's line Modern Background Paper and then create a mini which demonstrates some of the qualities of modern quilting.

This one was a bit of a stumper.  I debated whether I should add some solids but then started playing with half square triangles.  And boom!  Stairs.  So here it is.  Steps to Modern Quilting.  Let's see.  Asymmetrical design.  Simplistic design.  Use of Negative Space.  Yep.  That will do.  Modern quilting.  I quilted it heavily in different directions in Aurifil 50wt, light grey.  The quilting on the background echoes the steps and then I also quilted the grey treads while leaving the risers without for a different texture.

I had the crazy idea of matching the binding as I mentioned in my post yesterday.  And it was a crazy idea because there were so many potential matches.  But I did it!  It took most of last Sunday and a little bit of Saturday morning.  I am glad I stuck with it but it brought back all sorts of memories of our first big house renovation when husband was installing crown molding and had inside and outside corners to deal with.  Oh my goodness.  It is done and I am quite pleased.  12 binding matches later.  With differing angles.  Just saying.  





7 comments:

  1. Stunning, simply stunning. And you win the Binding award for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so awesome!!! Love the binding matches too, you have mad skillz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great mini . . . so much depth in such a simple arrangement of three fabrics. Nice binding job too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, bold mini-quilt design. Shows how much is possible just with half-square triangles. I would imagine you could create interesting "Escher-like" effects by combining several panels like this too.

    ReplyDelete