Thursday, January 13, 2011

knitting...

I am a self-confessed ADHD knitter.  I love to knit but it has to be something that I can finish really quickly.  I need to see results and I need to see results fast!  My Gramma was a knitter.  She would knit huge blankets!  She knit my Dad and my Grampa their socks with really fine wool.  And she knit mittens.  Great mittens!  My Mum gave Gramma's last mittens to daughter and my 3 nieces this past Christmas.  Mum had to finish one pair.  They weren't quite finished when Gramma stopped knitting.  The mittens are keeping hands warm and memories warm too.

I thought I should knit something last winter.  One of my aunties gave me a pattern and a couple of sample dishcloths for inspiration.  Oh man... dishcloths are so addictive.  You can knit them up fast and furious.  They are useful and appreciated.  Just my kind of knitting project.  I think I have probably made about 30 of them in the last 2 months.  I have given away a lot of them.  They stuffed nicely into Christmas stockings.

Cast on 4 stitches.  Knit a row.  Next row, knit 2, yarn over, knit to the end of the row.  Repeat until you have between 42-44 stitches on the needles.  You decide.  Next row, knit 1, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 2 together, knit to the end.  Repeat until you have 4 stitches on your needle.  Cast off.  Sew in the yarn ends.  Use for dishes or a gift.  You decide.  It's a win win, either way.

1 comment:

  1. I love thrift stores, too! I'm not frugal, I am thrifty! And thank you for the pattern for the dish cloths - I like to knit those also and I am always looking for something new. Katie M.

    ReplyDelete