Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Lucky Stars Block of the Month... December


I signed up for Elizabeth Dackson's Lucky Stars Block of the month last year. Elizabeth blogs at Don't Call Me Betsy.   13 blocks later, I now know how to put together a variety of paper pieced blocks.  I have a lovely selection of paper pieced star patterns in 2 sizes and while I could put these together in a quilt now, why not keep the fun going?  Elizabeth has put together a whole new year of Lucky Stars blocks and I have signed up again!  I am going to keep this quilt growing.

This is what I have so far.  13 of them.  One for each month and one extra.  That was the practice block.  I have learned a lot about paper piecing.  Can I offer some tips?
- Follow the cutting instructions.  That will save you a lot of anguish as you put your block together.
- Keep a few sewing machine needles strictly for paper piecing because paper really dulls your needle.
-Reduce the stitch length to make tearing the paper off easier.
-Keep all the fabric for the block of the month project in one tub if you are following some sort of colour scheme.  It keeps you organized when the block pattern appears in your email.
-Have fun.  It is supposed to be fun after all!


I line up all the cut up fabric in order of use so I am ready for the block.  One column is for template A and the other for template B.


I am following an organized colour scheme for the blocks.  The Anna Maria Horner fabric (second fabric from the top in the picture just below) is my "boss" fabric and all the other fabrics that I use bounce off of the colours in that print.  Fun!


Linking up with the Needle and Thread Network and Lee at Freshly Pieced for Work in Progress Wednesday.

17 comments:

  1. Those look really great all together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how your collection is growing, Cathy. It'll be fun to see what next year's blocks have in store as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice blocks...will be nice to see what next year brings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed seeing your blocks. Each one more amazing than the last ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's coming along beautifully. You're so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colors, well done!
    www.sewcraftychick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blocks and great fabric choices! It doesn't do to have second thoughts about the colours halfway through the year like I did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your colour choices! Maybe it is time for me to go back and try out a few paper piece blocks, I really got tired of them in the late 90's... In fact I just found my add a quarter ruler, especially for paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great together!! Such pretty stars

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I love the colours you've chosen. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the great tips. Your stars are looking fabulous, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to do my December block and then I am going to put it altogether into a wall quilt I am thinking. All of your blocks are gorgeous and perfectly done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These blocks are sheer perefection...and your boss fabric is one of my very all time favourite fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete