Monday, February 9, 2015

A Two Year Project

  Name:  Lucky Stars aka the Paper Pieced Beast
Design: Lucky Stars Block of the Month by Elizabeth Dackson
Size:  68" by 68""
Fabric: Stash fabrics including Anna Maria Horner selections from Innocent Crush, Stof Basics text, 
Kona solids, Sweetwater Reunion line, Sandi Henderson, Henna Garden
Binding:  Kona Berry

Quilted: by me with Aurifil 50 wt in light grey, 1" apart straight lines on the diagonal


I finished this a few weekends ago but with wedding and the rain, I have been unable to get photos.  Yesterday morning,I zipped outside with the quilt under my arms and pinned it to the clothesline quickly before rain came again.  It was a lovely morning and I could hear frogs already in the woods.  Rain water was dripping off the trees but there was a smidge of sun trying to make an appearance.  Even though we are only in February, we have had such a mild winter and the yard is waking up.

This quilt has been two years in the making.  I signed up for Don't Call Me Betsy's Lucky Stars Block of the Month and then I signed up for the second year in order to grow the quilt bigger.  It was quite a project.  I used a print from Anna Maria Horner's line Innocent Crush as the jumping off point, and some lovely Konas along with a text print from Stof.  The rest of the fabrics are scraps and bits and pieces.  I did find a light green/white print form the Sweetwater Reunion line for the setting triangles.   I really struggled with picking a fabric for those setting triangles and finally settled on the light green but I only had a scrap of it.  I found a supplier and then I was off to the races.

I started quilting in simple straight lines.  I was half way done the first line and I thought, nope.  Unpicked it and went on the diagonal instead, about an inch apart in fabulous light grey Aurifil 50 wt.  The grey works perfectly with all the colours.

I backed the quilt with a Michael Miller Eiffel Tower print that is extra wide and a bit of the Sweetwater Light green.

So there is is.  I am so happy it is finished.  I don't often have such long term projects!




13 comments:

  1. So awesome! Beautiful job, you can tell that a lot of hard work must have gone into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a beauty! You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW! Its beautiful! I hope you are keeping this one, thats alot of work! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! Congratulations on such a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding! Great accomplishment! Feels good to finish something like that doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy- Your quilt is truly stunning. What a beautiful and quite unique finish. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! It must feel so good to finish such a long term project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks amazing!!! I hope you will bring it on Thursday for show & tell heehee!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks beautiful! Such a hard work! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply stunning! I love all of the different prints you used!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been watching these blocks as you have made them, and each was amazing. The final result is just gorgeous. Congratulations, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete