Saturday, April 18, 2015

Many Hands Make Light Work... Modern Baby


  Name:  Many Hands Make Light Work
 
Design:  Modernized Disappearing 9 Patch :  a tutorial by Kristy Daum but with 4" squares
Size:  35" by 48"
Fabric: Stash/scrap fabrics, Kona Ash for the background
Quilted: by me with Aurifil 50 wt in light grey in crosshatch

 So during the Creative Stitches show in Abbotsfod in March was a lot of fun.  Our guild, The Fraser Valley Modern Quilt guild had a fabulous display of modern quilts and we also had 2 presentations on the main stage.  While I showed a powerpoint and did the talk thing, my fabulous guild members, Cynthia, Barbara and Vera on the Featherweight constructed the bulk of this quilt with a bunch of 4" squares I had cut and brought along for that purpose. We used the Modernized Disappearing 9 patch tutorial but with 4 " squares.    Not too shabby.  Let me tell you, Vera sewed with her little Featherweight until it could give no more.  It is actually in the repair shop.  Just as we finished the last presentation, it stopped working.  Too funny!

So once I got it home, I threw the rest of it up on the design wall, did the final construction and the quilting.  I used a fabulous light grey Aurifil for the crosshatch quilting and a Stof print for the binding.  And there it is.  Many Hands Make Light Work.  It was breezy during the photo shoot so the quilt kept blowing as it was on the barn wall.


We wanted to demonstrate how to modern up a traditional block.  In selecting the fabric, I wanted to make sure the fabrics did not read as "baby" but that it would still look like a baby quilt.  It works.

And I am off to spend the day quilting with Krista from Poppyprint.  Have a wonderful Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. It came out so great!! I love this method, it's so effective & modern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous Cathy. Enjoy your day, and say hi to Krista!

    ReplyDelete