Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Thoroughly Modern Mini.. Sawdust and Ash



On Sunday I took 9 "sawdust blocks" that I put together in April and I turned them into a mini for the Modern Mini Challenge.  In fact, the mini is actually a pillow cover, measuring about 18" by 18".  So what are sawdust blocks?  They are in fact, little 3.5" foundation pieced blocks using up a bunch of little tiny scraps that I cannot bear to toss out.  My husband calls these little scraps sawdust so these are sawdust blocks.  Why ash?  Because they blocks are offset by Kona Ash.  I like it!  I quilted the mini with a grey variegated Aurifil 50 wt, straight lines, lots of straight lines.  





sawdust blocks before
in process
Linking up with Jennifer at  Ellison Lane Quilts for the Modern Mini Challenge and with Amanda Jean for Finish it Up Friday.

20 comments:

  1. Oh I love this - great job!! Beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a happy, creative quilt. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant use of small pieces of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am currently making a yoyo quilt and have a huge plastic bin of "sawdust"...couldn't bear to toss them. Now I know what I'm going to do with them...I'm going to make up blocks (into maybe mug rugs?) and give them to all those people who donated fabric towards my project! Thanks for sharing this project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you paper piece them or just randomly sew them to fit??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the play on words! And, your Kona Ash works great with your mini blocks. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out wonderful! And like you, scraps are so hard to turn loose. A++++ love the colors with the 'ash' and your quilting! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful! Great use of those tiny scraps :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the bright colours against the calm grey. Really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely use of sawdust! Now I know why I've been throwing smaller and smaller pieces in a shoe box. The Kona Ash sets the blocks off brilliantly, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh super cool, I love your sawdust!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really nice! I enjoy that kind of quilting a lot, straight lines that intersect in a few places. Not that I do it all that often, but I like to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this - the bright colours and the wonkiness - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love this mini! sawdust blocks- that's such a perfect name for them. I have so many little bits that I can't bear to throw away too!

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  15. It doesn't matter how many times you use the term "sawdust" in reference to fabric, I still chuckle every time…

    Looks great - lovely mini!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love, love, love this!!! I always hate throwing away those little scraps and now you make me see why. 'Cause I could have been using them to make sawdust blocks!!

    ReplyDelete