Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Doing... works in progress


Today I took possession of the Guild quilt from the lovely Cynthia who came to pick blueberries.  Cynthia quilted the quilt and it looks amazing!  Just saying.  And I am binding.  It is already for hand stitching tonight.  Hopefully there will be something good on the tv!  

I also got seriously busy today with another project for a swap.  Several modern quilt guilds from the Pacific Northwest are meeting in Portland in 2 weeks and having all sorts of quilt fun.  I sadly cannot go but I can participate in the tote bag swap.  We were supplied an assortment of the Robert Kaufman denims, which are really lovely, and asked to make a lined tote bag.  I want to hand my tote bag off at our meeting on Thursday.  I had to get 'er done!  I picked up this drop cloth at Canadian Tire to use for the interlining.  So cheap when you buy it this way and as you can see it is "super robuste."




I am using Elizabeth Hartman's pattern for Perfect Quilted Totes.  I have to say that her patterns are just so detailed!  And in a good way.  The bag is coming together swimmingly and I will do all the lining and stuff tomorrow.


And my Values quilt is now a quilt top awaiting a back.  I love it!!!!

Linking up with the Needle and Thread Network and Lee's Work in Progress Wednesday.

9 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing that tote bag. What we can see looks great. And using a canvas drop cloth is so clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy,

    How much does the package of drop cloth cost and when you say you are using it for interlining, do you mean as "the lining", or between the lining and the tote body, to make it sturdier?

    Thanks,

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with your Values quilt. It is amazing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. quilt looks wonderfu....anxious to see the tote

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could go to Portland too. I was just there at the end of June, and I had a fabulous time. What a great idea to use a super robuste drop cloth for the lining of your bag. Does it make it as firm as interfacing would?

    beaniekins84(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how your tote bag is coming together. I still have to make mine, and have been procrastinating out of fear. I have never made a tote before and it all seems daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Guild quilt looks great. I think we need a tute on how to use the drop cloth fabric? Is there anything that we need to know, a different needle size, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never would have thought of a dropcloth for lining! Great tip :) The tote is looking fantastic. Can't wait to see the finished product

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like Cynthia did a marvelous job on the quilting - your guild quilt is looking good. Your tote bag is looking great! Love the idea of using a drop cloth in it instead of interfacing - clever!

    ReplyDelete