Thursday, July 19, 2012

Quilting Safety!



Well!  Since posting about my nasty rotary cutter vs. finger incident, I have been surprised by the number of people who have confessed to chopping off bits and pieces of themselves with the dreaded but ever so helpful and efficient rotary cutter.  Husband was convinced there had to be some sort of safety equipment for quilters and I was tickled to find the Klutz glove.  Named appropriately for people like me.  Those of you who decide to be clever ahead of potential injuries and buy the glove preemptively can cross out Klutz and write "Safety Glove for Clever Quilters" on the package.  Apparently this glove is cut resistant and is woven with stainless steel fibers and has so many grippy dots that it has to be helpful!  On the way home from the quilt shop, I was being ever so doubtful and was going on and on about how this sure does not look like stainless steel fibers but short of trying to cut the glove to test it, Husband just suggests I trust the packaging.  Once the giant finger bandage is off, I will try the glove out.  It will become part of what I do.


I also have this trusty piece of safety equipment.  The ruler handle.  My clever Mum gave this to me for Christmas.  I was not using it very much.  I actually refer to it as the quilt phone.  Anyway.  I found it did not stick to my ruler well but now, because I don't want to lose anymore pieces of me, I am using it.  I put a dab of water on each suction cup and it holds much more effectively to the ruler.  I also bought some tricky little non-skid discs that you stick to your ruler so that it does not slide when being used.  You can also buy a film that is applied to the ruler.  I may go back and get that film rather than the sticky discs.

So there you have it.  Quilt safety.  Have a lovely rest of your day!

3 comments:

  1. I had to go buy one of those when my rotary cutter and finger fought. My finger did not win. LOL Hubby insisted I go buy a Klutz glove. Thankfully I had a 50% off coupon for Joanns. Otherwise that single glove would have cost me $25. That would buy a lot of fabric. I have gotten careless lately, though. I did really well at wearing it at first, but I hate taking it off and putting it on so much. If I am doing a lot of monotonous cutting, I still wear it. I would hate to hear the lectures if I cut myself again because I wasn't wearing it. LOL I hope your finger heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didnt even know that those existed! Wow...and you cant cut through it? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great ideas. I'll be looking for a couple coupons to use. Hope your finger is healing.

    ReplyDelete