Monday, January 13, 2014

Modern Mini... Are we there yet?

 Name:  Are we there yet?
Design: Mine
Size:  approx  26" by 30"
Fabric:  Anna Maria Horner Innocent Crush, Kona solids... Curry and Cerise,
 Robert Kaufman linen cotton blend, Stof basics text print in ivory
Backing:  stash fabrics
Binding:  Anna Maria Horner Innocent Crush
Quilted: by me with Aurifil 40 wt ivory

I have spoken before about my lovely Fraser Valley Modern Quilt Guild and how we are playing a big role in the Creative Stitches Show in Abbotsford in March.  We are hosting a Modern Mini Challenge for the guild as part of the show as a way of demonstrating what modern quilting looks like.  Guild members have been selecting modern quilting themes out of a basket and then getting busy.  Since I am the guild challenge coordinator, I got busy fast so I could have a sample.  I selected alternate grid work as a modern quilting theme but when I started working, I also had expansive negative space, use of solids, bright, colourful prints as well.  I quilted it heavily with straight lines in an ivory Aurifil 40 wt and increased the length of the stitches a bit.  The stitches pop on the linen.  We decided to go a little bigger than a typical mini to showcase the modern quilting themes.  So here it is.  A modern mini.  I called it Are We There Yet? because I am really excited about the Creative Stitches show!






6 comments: