Sunday, January 6, 2013

Build Your Best Log Cabin... a review





Back in December, I was contacted by a media coordinator for Fons and Porter.  He offered me a copy of their free ebook "Building Your Best Log Cabin" and asked if I would be willing to share a review.  Well, it was December and I was knee deep in the school Christmas Concert.  I did say I would do this but I am only just getting to it now.  Yoiks!

This is a lovely ebook by the way.  Nice that it is free. I downloaded a copy onto my iPad and have it open in iBooks as we speak.  And while Log Cabins and books about them abound, it is always fun to see a new take on an old standard.  The fabrics used in the samples are predominantly traditional but I am confident that all of us modern quilters can easily see beyond that and imagine these standards made up in some lovely, vibrant modern fabrics.  I was particularly struck by the pattern for Chevron. I can totally see this done up in some amazing Oakshotts!  In fact, I might just have to make this one quick.  On the Dark side is great too.  Hey, this book is filled with good ideas.   I appreciated the ideas for layouts. The directions are clear and well laid out in typical Fons and Porter style.

Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns
On The Dark Side  from Building Your Best Log Cabin

I also enjoyed the wee bit about Liz's Lumpless Binding.  Nice tips!  Because we all want a lumpfree binding!  I even bought a handy dandy tool awhile ago but the directions were so convoluted I gave up and I think I do just what Liz is recommending now.  Check it out.

So there you have it.  Just a little review. Thanks, Fons and Porter.   And I have a link here too,so you can grab yourself a copy of the ebook too.


No comments:

Post a Comment