Monday, February 11, 2013

Design Wall Monday


This is what I have on the design wall.  I have been playing with these for a week or so after being really intrigued with this quilt last year that Kati designed called Broken Diamonds.  This will be the first quilt that I have made with only solids.  Yesterday I wrapped my brain around getting the blocks together in a manner that looked like it was meant to be and today I have to fill in the corners now that the blocks are all together.  My design consultant (a.k.a. husband) is not a fan.  He is all about symmetry which doesn't exist in this quilt.  He did ask to play with the blocks on the design wall and with his suggestions, I have all the blocks at least with the lighter halves on the left (sort of) and the blocks all in a vertical orientation if that makes any sense.  The big question will be once it is all together, how to quilt it!?  Who knew I had so many solids?

Just so you know... the blocks are paper pieced.  Squares of paper, cut on the diagonal and then again.  The quarters are then each paper pieced so that 2 are matching then you sew them together.  It is a fun process.  Except for the picking out the bits of paper when the blocks are finished!

Linking up with Judy's Design Wall Monday.


11 comments:

  1. Very nice Cathy - a beautiful assortment of solids you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your broken diamonds. Colour choice is great and it will look stunning all put together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are very nice. Will there be a solid in between the blocks, or will you find a way to sew them one right up against the other? A dark solid? A light one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous so far. I like the solids in here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great solids. lovely colors together. Reminds me of a mobile in the vertical orientation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your diamonds are stunning! Amazing how simply solids can make such an impact, most times even more so than prints.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these blocks. I think solids are so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your 'consultant' has a good eye! He managed to find asymetrical balance so while it isn't a mirror, it's still has a logical rhythm. I bookmarked that quilt of hers, too. I am loving your interpretation of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can just hear your man " so, what are you gonna do with that?" Mine helps me too. They are gorgeous blocks

    ReplyDelete