Thursday, February 21, 2013

Inspired Broken Diamonds


I finished this the other day and hung it up on the barn for a few pictures.  This is Inspired Broken Diamonds and I am calling it that because I was inspired to make it after seeing this quilt on Kati's blog From The Blue Chair.  I found her Broken Diamonds quilt mesmerizing and I knew that I had to try it.  It took me awhile to get around to it but I did.  

So what did I do?  Lot of solids cut into strips in a variety of widths.  The strings are paper pieced in matching quarters and then sewn together with other matching quarters.  There are no repeats.  The "diamonds" are all different sizes for the most part.  Then the fun came when I put them together.  That was a bit of a construction project!  I had to sash the blocks in a way that allowed them to fit together.  Once that happened, I filled in the empty space with giant triangles and we were away to the races.  That was until I realized I had goofed with the orientation of the quilt and I had to un-sandwich it and tweak the quilt a bit so I had the blocks in the right orientation.  Long story.  Short story is it makes me happy.  There is one wee diamond in a different orientation.  Can you see it?  That was an oops but it is an okay oops.  The quilt advisor (a.k.a. Husband) thought the diamonds should have their lighter sides to the left as if the sun might be on them.  Do you see what I mean?  All the diamonds are in that orientation except the one little oops.  That one slipped by me somehow!  

The quilting is straight lines about an inch apart, in Aurifil 50 wt in white and I think it looks just great!  The binding is Kona Charcoal and I used some leftover solids on the back with Ikea's Britten Numbers. So much fun!!!!!  I was stitching the binding when I noticed the number forty two on the back!  Forty two is such an auspicious number!  The answer to the secret of the universe, right?  Nothing like a literary reference on a quilt!  (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)






  Quilt stats

Name:  Inspired Broken Diamonds
                     Design:  Inspired by Kati's quilt Broken Diamonds
Size:  64" by 74"
Fabric:  Kona Solids and stash fabrics
Binding:  Kona Charcoal
Backing:  Ikea Britten Numbers and Kona Solids
Quilted: by me with Aurifil 50 wt in white








Linking up with Amanda Jean for Finish It Up Friday!

19 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the broken diamond quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great, Cathy!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo super pretty. I adore the oops - it likes to live on its own terms! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous gorgeous...how in the world do you get it to lay so flat, the quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words fail me. If this ever goes missing, it's in Kamloops! Perfect quilting too

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out lovely Cathy. You did a great job. I love that ikea backing print, as well as the dark binding. Really set it off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful, Cathy! I love that strip of solids against the text background. What are you going to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing! I love your backing. You have such beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely modern looking quilt, so simple, but with great impact.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So gorgeous! Love all the colors that you used. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love the whole thing - front and back, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It turned out really nice. The design and the colors too. I like actually both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quilt Advisor....... i have one of those too.....also....aka husband......
    sweet!!!
    great quilt!
    xo
    eva

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the backing fabric. How much thicker than quilting fabric is the Ikea fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh good heavens - this is a beautiful quilt! LOOOOOOOVE it! I can hear my brain now: "MUST...MAAAAAAAAAKE.....!" I gotta go find me a barn... great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thumbs up for a Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference!!! Plus a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete