Thursday, October 25, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival!


Quilt stats:

Name:  Gemstones for a Friend
Block:  Gemstones from Rachel, Stitched in Color
Quilted by Me
Size:  70" x 84"
Best Category:  Favourite Bed Quilt, Favourite Home Machine Quilted Quilt, Favourite two colour quilt



I decided to enter Gemstones for a Friend in the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  I love this quilt!  I finished it this past July and made it for a special friend.  She is kind, generous, warm, funny, special, loyal and most certainly colourful and so is this quilt.  That is what made it just right for her.  I had wanted to make her a quilt for awhile but had not settled on a design.  I think I always knew it would be with these colours.  I found this block on Rachel's blog, Stitched in Color and the rest just fell into place.  Rachel calls the block "gemstones."  And this is "Gemstones for a Friend."

I used a variety of fabrics.  Scraps and bits and pieces from my stash.  The solid purple used in the setting triangles is Kona Berry and the dots are from Stof.  The binding is a strip from the Prospect Park line that I had stashed just for bindings!  Perfect!  I quilted it densely in straight lines with Aurifil 50 wt.  I used a lot of thread!  I have to say that it was my husband who had the idea to use the 2 different fabrics for the setting triangles.  It totally works and is just the quirky touch it needed to make it just the right quilt for my buddy.

The backing is pieced with colourful fabric from my stash and can you see the label?  I free-motion quilted some handwriting.  It even looks like my handwriting!

I have to say the gift was a success.  And it is just the quilt I wanted to share for the festival.  I hope you like it too.










28 comments:

  1. It is PERFECT and beautiful. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful. A perfect submission for the Quilt Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I said before, I love this quilt. I love how you incorporated the two backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your colors! Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!! love the saturated colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these colors together so much! What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this - the colours, the quilting... It's just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about your quilt. It's just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely. I like how you used two different colors for the setting triangles and how they tie the colors of the quilt together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your quilt! The colors are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did an amazing job. Love the quilt and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is lovely - I love your quilted message too. Thanks for sharing. #263

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful quilt !! No wonder your friend loves it ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the colours you chose and the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is gorgeous! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This quilt is stunning!! Love the colors and the dense quilting lines. Your husband made a great suggestion for the setting triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous quilt Cathy! It really does have a gemstone feel to it. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I especially love the border in two colours. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful quilt! Found you via the Canadian Blog hop, I am a Winnipegger :) Who also happens to looooove Hawkins cheezies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilt is beautiful. It's a lovely design and you have used the colours so well. A wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This quilt works in so many ways! My favorite part is the two colors of setting triangles. What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the geometry of this quilt. The colours you have chosen and the straight quilting add more beautify to it.

    ReplyDelete